You may correct certain violations to clear a citation, including:
- Expired registration (California Vehicle Code section 4000(a))
- Mutilated/illegible plates (California Vehicle Code section 4457)
- Display of plates (California Vehicle Code section 5200)
- Position of plates (California Vehicle Code section 5201)
- No current tabs (California Vehicle Code section 5204(a))
The completed Certificate of Correction and reduced $15 correction fee must be submitted by the citation due date. The Sheriff’s Department, CHP or DMV can verify proof of correction. The inspecting officer will complete the Certificate of Correction section on the back of the citation or notice. Present this plus $15 for each corrected violation to clear the citation. A copy of the registration alone will not be accepted.