- Parks and Recreation
- Community Programs
- Volunteer Opportunities
SAVES Volunteer Recruitment
The City is looking to bring in new volunteers to support our work at SAVES for all positions. Please attend one of our volunteer orientations to learn more about the positions, job duties and responsibilities, and the schedule for each.
Monday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday through Thursday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Boutique Hours vary based on staff availability. If you are interested in visiting the boutique, call before coming to ensure we are open.
Phone hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday.
Founded in 1983, SAVES is dedicated to alleviating hunger among very low and extremely low-income individuals, working families, the elderly, the disabled and the homeless in the South Antelope Valley. Our areas of service include:
- Lake Elizabeth
- Lake Los Angeles with Palmdale Zip code
SAVES helps sustain the lives of thousands of people with nutritious food, education and referrals in cooperation with other agencies. We envision a community in which all people have access to healthy food and basic necessities of life. We are committed to working collaboratively to develop a healthier, food-secure community through direct service and advocacy. Each day, we manifest the values of service, compassion and justice in our work.
The day-to-day operations of SAVES and staffing are funded through Community Development Block Grants (CDBG). Food is provided through a collaboration with the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank, federal programs, and daily contributions of local markets, stores and restaurants. SAVES donates extra food to local senior centers, sober living homes and other food assistance programs.
- Work in collaboration with the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank to bring thousands of pounds of food directly to its neighbors in need to ensure that emergency and daily food needs are met.
- Provide nutritious meals and bags of groceries four days a week. SAVES is the only local food pantry ready to serve any needy person in South Antelope Valley.
- Offer holiday food baskets to families in need during November and December. December baskets include toys for needy kids.
- Provide referrals to other community agencies and programs and partner with local health and social services providers in their outreach efforts to our clients.
- Provide a meaningful opportunity for volunteers, students, and low-income adult and senior job trainees to serve their community.
- Stay abreast of the impact of nutrition, poverty, and unemployment in our community, advocate to end poverty, and promote food security, nutrition and health.
Learn how you can support SAVES and its programs. Fill out this form if you are interested in volunteering.
SAVES is partially funded by a Grant from the Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) through California Climate Investments.
Looking to get involved with your community? Not sure where to start? Our community offers many opportunities for individuals and families to volunteer their time. Volunteers are a critical part of many agencies’ ability to offer programs and assist families in need. Volunteering strengthens our commitment to the community we share.
Greater Avenues to Independence (GAIN) /Transitional Subsidized Employment (TSE) Participants
The City accepts community service participants from GAIN based on program needs. Participants must complete a program interview and background check before acceptance. For placement availability, please call 661-267-5473.
The City accepts students and interns based on City needs. Students should contact the City well in advance if they would like to intern for a specific department or program.
Students completing school-required hours (20 hours or less) who are 16 years of age or older may contact South Antelope Valley Emergency Services (SAVES) at 661-267-5191. Service hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Court Referred Community Service
The City accepts court-referred community service in select programs. A referral must be completed from the Volunteer Center of Los Angeles before registering for a City program.