- Parks and Recreation
- Palmdale Public Art
- Walk on Words Contest
Walk on Words Sidewalk Poetry Contest
The contest is free and open to all ages.
- Poems must relate to the contest's theme, Sister Cities.
- Poems must be written in English or Spanish
- Poems must be family-friendly.
- Poems must be original compositions by the submitting poet.
- Poems must be no longer than 8 lines long, including title, with a maximum of 25 characters per line, including spaces.
- The poem must be submitted online at www.cityofpalmdale.org/WoW
- The Walk on Words Poetry Contest is open to all ages, no previous experience or publication is necessary. Poems must be no more than 8 lines long (including title, if applicable) with a maximum of 25 characters including spaces per line. Poems must incorporate the theme Sister Cities. The poem must be the original work of the entrant. All submissions become the property of the City of Palmdale and may be published in print and/or on the City’s website. All entries must be submitted electronically via this page. Entrants must complete the entry form in its entirety to qualify. City of Palmdale employees and their immediate family members are not eligible.
- Contest Dates: April 1 through May 31, 2023.
- Poems will be judged on originality, creativity, and artistic quality. Poems containing profanity, vulgarity, or offensive material, and/or poems that do not meet the requirements for line limitation and theme, will be disqualified.
- The winner will be selected from all qualified entries, and the winning poem will be stamped in concrete.
- All decisions made by the judges are final.
- The author retains all copyrights to the submitted poem. By entering the contest, entrant consents to the publication of his/her poem in any medium employed by the City.
- Winner will be notified by phone or email, and will be announced publicly at a ceremony, date and time to be determined. Names of the winner(s) and their respective poems may appear on the City’s website.
- The City collects personal information for the purpose of notifying contest winners only. All information submitted is confidential, used solely for notification purposes and will not be made public. The City does not lease, sell, or share personal information.
- Children aged 12 and under must have parental permission to enter the contest.
- No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.