WHAT: Palmdale City Council Meeting
WHEN: Tuesday, November 16, 2020 at 7 pm
WHERE: Palmdale Council Chamber, City Hall, 38300 Sierra Hwy., Suite B
AGENDA: Available at www.cityofpalmdale.org/310/City-Council-Meetings
WHERE TO WATCH: Online: https://cityofpalmdale.org/310/City-Council-Meetings and click on City Council/Successor Agency/Housing Authority Meetings
In the Antelope Valley: Spectrum Channel 27
NOTABLE ITEM: Item 23 – Special Report to Council regarding City Fiber Plan.
- City released a Request for Proposals to partner on the implementation of 5G services. As a result, the City received a very promising proposal from SiFi Networks to make Palmdale a “Fiber City.”
- SiFi is looking to invest approximately $160 million in Palmdale to deploy 800 miles of fiber throughout the City.
- Once completed, essentially every home and every business in Palmdale will have access to high speed internet. Currently only about 5% of homes and 30% of businesses in Palmdale have that level of connectivity.
- This service could help bridge the digital divide bringing high speed internet to all residents and businesses.
- If approved, negotiations will begin for a Smart Cities Agreement to outline benefits to the City and its partners (school districts, etc.).
- It will take approximately one year to plan and two years of construction to deploy throughout the entire City. Once fiber has been installed in a neighborhood, the services will be available there.
INFO: For more information, please call 661/267-5115.